When collecting for charity it is vital to know that your money is not wasted. At Woodmansterne we are careful not only to choose a worthy cause, but to ensure that the organisation behind every charity is effective, efficient and well focused. We set up agreements which guarantee that the money we collect from the sale of our quality charity Christmas cards goes in full to the the work of the charity and is not swallowed up in administration.
Every year each charity sends us a detailed report on their progress and on the specific projects that have been funded by your generous contributions.
For example, the money raised from Christmas 2013 cards:
- Will allow Marie Curie Cancer Care to provide just over 630 hours of nursing care for terminally ill patients, allowing them to die in their place of choice, making such a huge difference to their patients at the end of their life.
- Enables Shelter to keep their helpline going by funding an advisor for 332 hours, helping a staggering 2325 people.
- Will help Wateraid make a real difference to lives in Burkina Faso by providing a borehole to supply water to 300 villagers, supply 5 Volanta handpumps, 5 toolkits to maintain village waterpoints, construct ventilated improved pit latrines for 5 households AND train 8 hygiene education volunteers.
- The amount raised for the British Heart Foundation could fund a Heart Helpline Cardiac Nurse for 4.5 months. British Heart Foundation’s cardiac nurses help heart patients, carers and families to better understand and live with their conditions.
- Will assist Childline to recruit, train and sustain 10 ChildLine Schools Service Volunteers who will be able to reach a total of 7,200 children per year, or answer over 7,000 calls to ChildLine from children who are in distress, or enable qualified counsellors to have 560 one to one sessions with a child who has been abused
- Will allow Battersea Dogs and Cats Home to look after a dog for a year (although hopefully not the same dog as we would hope they wouldn’t stay that long!) or approximately 25 cats for the duration of their stays, or go a long way to helping their veterinary team provide special care for dogs and cats who are unwell with special food and bedding.
It’s great to acknowledge, having now raised nearly £3 million for charity, that together we have helped to rescue, restore or enrich the lives of so many people simply through the purchase of charity Christmas cards.